Shropshire County Show 14 May - 15th May 2011
 

 
CONTACT

Show History

Leading the way, from the 13th century….

  • Way back in the 13th century, Shrewsbury was awarded a variety of royal market charters and privileges.
  • From 1567, a market for butter and poultry used to be held twice weekly at the Market Cross then standing at the top of Pride Hill. Regular cheese fairs were also a feature of that old Market. 
  • By 1847, however, the Shrewsbury Cattle Market Act was passed to establish the Smithfield on land known as Raven Meadows. It was opened in November 1850 and marked by a big banquet presided over by the Mayor of the Borough.
  • The much maligned General Market and Corn Exchange, was opened in 1869 and only replaced around 100 years later.
  • Cattle sales were introduced around 1878 by a man well connected with the West Mid, Alfred Mansell, who started selling herds of West Highland cattle to noblemen and gentlemen to stock up their parks.
  • Round that time, Shrewsbury introduced the first public market weighbridge of its kind in the country - enabling the town to pioneer the selling of cattle by live weight in England.
 
The Agricultural Showground

Berwick Road, Shrewsbury SY1 2PF

Tel: 01743 289 831

enquiries@shropshirecountyshow.com


Agricultural Society
The Shropshire
and West Midlands
Agricultural Society